Monday, September 26, 2016

Potluck


College is a time for big changes, and for many, you are leaving behind friends, family, and everything you knew as familiar. Stress happens to everyone and if you feel like you are alone, it can make the stressful situation seem even more taxing, therefore, I think that finding a group of like-minded people that you can connect with on more than just a cordial level is imperative for your success throughout school, and especially your overall happiness.
     For me personally, I have been lucky enough to become a member of the University Honors Scholars at ETSU. This group of people have become more than just friends; we have become a little family on campus. This is not just through my own designated class, but also with those who have come before us. We, as a whole, have created a sort of support system, that I think many of us were not sure we would find on a medium-larger size campus such as ETSU. We realize that we are all in the same boat and can rely on one another. Knowing that there are others who feel the same way you do, takes away some of the ever-present stress.
     Within the Honors College there are several opportunities, and even classes where all three sections (University Honors, Midway Honors, and Fine and Performing Arts Honors) can come together. For example, for our Colloquium class, we recently had a potluck picnic. It brought all sections of honors and all honors generations together to enjoy good food and good company. Each group brought a different food item. There was everything from pizza, macaroni salad, and quesadillas to brownies, cookies, and cheesecake. The large variety of foods, in a way, mimicked our all being there together. We have come from different places and from different walks of life, however we all fit together. For example, the picture above is of myself, my “Big” Hannah, and my “Grand-big” Lindsey. We decided to take a “generation picture” while at the potluck. These girls have become like older sisters to me through Honors, and are always able to help me out and answer my questions when I need them.

     All in all, without this wonderfully mismatched group of people, I would be lost. I could not imagine starting this new journey in my life without all of them and the amazing “potluck” we create.

No comments:

Post a Comment