Sunday, November 27, 2016

Invisible Scars

     

     I recently had the opportunity to visit Reece Museum, an art museum on East Tennessee State University’s campus. I had never been to a museum or gallery such as this one, and I was not really sure what to expect. Art was always one of my favorite subjects in school, even though I was not the greatest at it, and I was excited to see what students and artists from around the area had put together. Even so, I was a little worried that I would be bored and would not find anything that I could really connect with and I knew that I should be spending my time studying for the two tests I had coming up. After walking through each exhibit twice, speaking directly with and being given a small walk through by the manager of the museum, taking several pictures, and eventually leaving an hour and 45 minutes later, I realized I that the idea of being bored in a place like that was ridiculous.
     There were several pieces that I found very interesting, however there was one, the one pictured above, that stuck out to me so much more than any of the others. This piece was title “It Weighs Heavily Still…” and was created by Jeanne Brady. This piece had won “Best in Show” for the exhibition that had been hosted there not long before my visit and was a favorite of many museum visitors. When looking at the picture, it is obvious to see the shear fabric and the words written on it. There are several phrases and words that can be found on this piece including: “You are selfish, stupid, a loser, trouble…” “You were a mistake,” “What if I fail?” “You are hopeless.” “You are bothering me.” “I am sick and tired of my body.” The manager of Reece Museum told us that the artist was trying to portray phrases and words that children have heard at one point or another that may seem insignificant, but stick with them throughout the years and replay over and over in their minds. When regarding this piece, I felt like it applied to more than just children. People can be so hateful and say things without realizing the effect it has on someone else. You always hear the saying “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.” I do not believe that is true. Harsh words pointed at someone can hurt just as much, if not more than actions. Everyone has said something to another that they regret, and everyone has been told something about themselves that they wish they could just forget. These words are like knives to the soul. They carve themselves in and leave scars that no one else can see, but cause just as much pain. Pieces such as this one remind viewers to watch what they say, you never know who may be listening, and you never know what your words will mean to someone else, especially when children are involved.

     After visiting this museum, I will definitely be coming back, and I am genuinely excited to see how the exhibits change throughout the next few years. Connecting with art can really make people see things that mirror their own lives, and the work can help to portray lessons about society in a creative, yet effective way.

No comments:

Post a Comment