Friday, March 10, 2017

2nd Semester Colloquium Project

     Over the course of this 2nd semester in Honors Colloquium at ETSU,our class must choose a project to devote 20 hours of our time to, outside of academia. I have decided to dedicate my time to 
shadowing a Physician and Family Nurse Practitioner from Finch 
Family Medical Care in the near-by town, Bristol, VA. After speaking with both providers, it has been decided that I will shadow them on Fridays after my classes are completed. I feel that this opportunity will teach me so much, not only about the aspects of working in an office, but also about medicine, the field that I wish to enter. During the hours spent here, I will be observing the providers’ interactions with several groups of people ranging in age, from pediatric to geriatric, and medical necessity. I will be able to witness insurance physicals, well-child visits, lab work follow-ups, regular scheduled visits, and work-in patients. My hope is that through this experience I will gain a greater understanding of what it means to be a primary care provider and how the knowledge that I am gaining through my courses now, can be of use to me in my everyday life as a medical provider. Updates will be posted periodically throughout the semester chronicling this new opportunity and the lessons I receive through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment